Monday 5th Dec 2022
Dhivehi Edition
News Reports Sports Business
President Yameen

Threat to Pres Yameen submitted to 241 committee

Member of Parliament for Thaa Guraidhoo Constituency Mohamed Ghassan Maumoon has asked the Parliament Committee on National Security Services (the 241 Committee) to investigate the threats made on opposition leader President Abdullah Yameen.
In a letter sent to Parliament Speaker former President Mohamed Nasheed MP Ghassan said that it was evident from social media posts by a group, that an attack on the former President Yameen was imminent.
He added that clause four of the Prevention of Terrorism Act is clear on what is defined as terrorism, and threats of the manner are clearly defined in Intimidation and Possession of Dangerous Weapons and Sharp Instruments Act. Based on these factors, Ghassan said the opposition had filed the case in Maldives Police Service on the 30th of April.
He lamented that there has been radio silence from authorities on the matter. Ghassan further lamented that the threatening message had been retweeted by Defense Minister Mariya Ahmed Didi.
MP Ghassan further said that President Yameen, in his capacity as a former President, had certain rights and protections decreed under law and to be provided by Defense services, as mandated under clause 128 of the Constitution.
Ghassan further added that silence and inaction on defense matters had resulted in the attack on Parliament Speaker in May of last year. This, he said, was apparent from the inquiry the Committee had conducted to the matter.
Ghassan further requested the Parliament Committee to review the matter and had asked defense services for a clarification on how they had attended to the matter so far.
MP Ghassan serves in the Parliament Committee on National Security Services.
The tweet in question was posted Sunday evening by a group, calling themselves the Maldives Youth Force. A video by the group released on social media said that they ‘stand against hate, racism, and xenophobia’ and they planned to ‘cut him [President Yameen] down to size’. The said video had been retweeted by figures such as Defense Minister Mariya Didi, diplomats, and social media figures closely associated with the Government. This had led to speculation that this has been financed by Indian Embassy and supported by the administration.