Sunday 21st Jul 2024
Dhivehi Edition
News Reports Sports Business
Hiyaa project

Government Attempting to Shift Blame for Hiyaa Project onto HDC

Male' City Council Member Ibrahim Shuja, speaking on the 'Hiyaa' housing project, accused the government of shifting blame onto Housing Development Corporation (HDC).
Speaking at a press conference today, he revealed that in the past, social housing projects were funded through the state budget, with the remainder of citizens' rent being covered by the government.
Considering there is no income generated for loan repayment, he stressed that the government must determine how loans were repaid before. He further stated that loans for housing projects in Hulhumale' were paid off with loans from the state, the government having to reimburse what citizens are unable to pay.
The council member expects ongoing projects to aid locals, as former President Yameen Abdul Gayoom's administration planned to assist tenants with fees other than the established MVR 5,000 rent.
Referring to HDC estimates, he noted that 70 percent of tenants are capable of promptly repaying their debt. The government must provide support for the remaining 30 percent unable to pay off the loan in time, said Shuja.